If you have ever owned a puppy, you may already be familiar with probiotics, which are the “good bacteria” that live in the gut. Probiotics can help puppies with a variety of different conditions ranging from upset stomach, itching/scratching, and can even help strengthen the immune system.
Puppy owners sometimes wonder what the best type of probiotic is to give their puppy in particular, the truth is, there are a ton of different brands out there… but which one is the best?
After researching and hearing feedback from puppy owners, I have compiled a list of the top ten most recommended puppy probiotics based on factors such as taste, price, ingredients, rating, and many others!
If you are interested to learn more about puppy probiotics and which brand may be the best for your puppy, then keep reading!
What are Probiotics?
Before we dive into what puppy probiotics are the best, let’s talk about what a probiotic is for those who aren’t familiar with them.
A probiotic is a live microorganism that lives in the gut and helps the growth of “healthy bacteria.”
Probiotics can help with many things including breaking down food, strengthening the immune system, and fighting off any bacteria or infections that are not good for your puppy’s gut!
Probiotics can also be used for symptoms your puppy may be having such as eating a lot of grass, having gas or bloating, bad breath, scratching/itching, diarrhea, overall bad gut health, and many others!
NOTE: For a full list of reasons why your puppy may benefit from taking probiotics, check out this article: Puppy Probiotics (Everything you Need to Know!)
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. We only recommend high-quality products that are used and recommended by real owners. If you use these links to buy something we earn a small commission.
You may have already given your puppy probiotics and never known. A lot of puppy food already contains probiotics which can help your puppy’s gut; however, some puppies will have even better gut health if they take a probiotic separate from what is already contained in their food.
Many puppy foods contain a minimal number of vitamins and nutrients, making it hard for a puppy to get the necessary amount they need, this is why a lot of owners choose to give their puppies vitamins and supplements separately from their food.
NOTE: Check with your vet before starting your puppy on any probiotics to ensure that you are giving them the right amount!
8 Best puppy Probiotics
There are many great probiotics for puppies that are currently on the market; however, after researching and talking to puppy owners, there were eight brands that made the top of the list as the best overall and most effective probiotics for puppies!
NOTE: Prices are standard across Amazon, Chewy, and the official product websites. Ratings are from the official product websites.
Rating: 4.7/5 Stars
This product was the topmost recommended probiotic for puppies according to veterinarians. This probiotic comes in a powder formula which is meant to be sprinkled over the puppy’s food.
A lot of puppy owners recommended mixing the probiotic powder with other medicines that the puppy may be prescribed so that they may be more likely to eat take their medicine because of the good taste.
TIP: Make sure to ask your vet before mixing any medications with the probiotic.
- Great for picky eaters, puppies who aren’t interested in probiotic chews or tablets will do well with this powder formula!
- Several owners noticed that their puppy’s tear stains were eliminated after taking this probiotic for several weeks. (Tear stains are caused by bacterial issues)
- Great for puppies with super sensitive stomachs.
- Some puppy owners were concerned that this probiotic contained salt in its ingredients list. While there is not a high amount of salt present, it is best to ask your vet first, especially if your puppy has a heart condition.
NOTE: You can also purchase this same probiotic/formula in chewable tablet form!
Rating: 4.9/5 Stars
Zesty Paws is a brand that a lot of puppy owners are familiar with. They offer many other chewable bites including omega bites, calming bites, bladder bites, and even pill wraps with probiotic paste.
The Zesty Paws Probiotic Bites contain six strains of probiotics and has a base ingredient of pumpkin and papaya, along with a delicious chicken flavor that puppies seem to love.
A lot of puppy owners said that they noticed their puppy stopped eating grass after taking this probiotic chew.
NOTE: Puppies typically eat grass when their stomachs are upset, giving them a probiotic can help ease the discomfort that comes with an upset stomach.
- Great for skin health
- No ingredients are derived from grain (the flour products are made from peas, garbanzo beans, and tapioca).
- Puppies may be more hesitant to eat this probiotic since it is chewable; however, thankfully it is a very soft consistency so they should have no trouble chewing and swallowing, or risk of hurting their teeth.
Rating: 4.7/5 Stars
This probiotic is very similar to the Zesty Paws Chewable Bites; however, this comes as a liquid food topper that can be drizzled over or mixed into your puppy’s food!
This product is very popular with puppies because they don’t have to chew or swallow it, it can be placed directly on the food and eaten along with it (similar to the Purina FortiFlora powder).
Puppies seem to love this product because, like the Chewable Bites, it comes with a tasty chicken flavor.
- Owners said they loved this product because they didn’t have to use a lot of it, so it lasted longer, and it was also a lot of product for the price!
- This can be used for a puppy that may be showing uninterest in eating. Because of the good smell, owners noticed that their puppies ate more with the liquid drizzled over top of their food, the probiotics were just a healthy plus!
- Contains ingredients proven to help digestion.
- A lot of puppy owners stated that they have full trust in the Zesty Paws brand.
- Some puppy owners stated that they were not a fan of the fragrance of the probiotic and that it was too strong.
- A lot of owners stated that it was hard to open the bottle and that it oftentimes leaked.
- Some owners stated that their pup didn’t like the probiotic because it was more like a gravy consistency that the puppy wasn’t interested in.
#4. Bernie’s Perfect Poop Digestion Support Supplement
Rating: 4.9/5 Stars
Price: $13.99–$46.99 (Depending on the size bag)
This product contains a mix of fiber, prebiotics, probiotics, and enzymes which are the most important ingredients for digestion!
This probiotic comes in a unique cheddar cheese flavor that puppy owners have described as a “cereal” or “small granola” type consistency which is easier to mix into the puppy’s food.
This product is popular among puppy owners because there are lots of options in prices based on the amount of product you get!
- Known to help anal gland issues.
- Good for puppies with a poor appetite, who consistently eat grass, or who show a lack of energy.
- Customers had great reviews not only about the product but about the great customer service from the company as well.
- Some puppy owners stated that their pup had diarrhea for a while after starting to take the probiotic, but thankfully this stopped soon after they got used to it (this is common when a puppy starts a new probiotic).
- Over time, customers noticed a change in the shape/size of the “granules” that make up this product. Their puppy wouldn’t eat it anymore once the size of the product was bigger.
Rating: 4.4/5 Stars
This probiotic comes in a chewable tablet form with a pumpkin flavor that puppies love.
This product contains a simple ingredients list which is always a good thing when it comes to choosing a probiotic. The formula used in these chews helps with digestion and absorption of nutrients into the gut which help with the puppy’s overall growth.
- Helps maintain gut pH
- Helps protect the layers of the bowel
- Owners reported that they noticed their puppy scratching and itching less after taking the probiotic for several weeks.
- One owner stated that their puppy had recurring yeast infections within the ear, they went away after using this probiotic consistently.
- A lot of puppies don’t like the pumpkin flavor versus a probiotic that has a flavor such as chicken or beef.
- Some owners noticed that the bites would crumble easily.
Rating: 4.3/5 Stars
This probiotic comes in a chewable tablet form that is soft and easy to chew for puppies. With a holistic blend of ingredients, this probiotic is popular among puppy owners because it is known to help with a variety of issues including diarrhea, constipation, itching/scratching, and allergies.
While there is no specific flavor listed, most puppies seem to gobble this probiotic right up, so it must taste good! This probiotic also contains a lot of natural ingredients which is great for puppies with allergies.
- Holistic ingredients
- No dairy, sugar, or artificial flavor
- Wheat Free
- Wonderful for puppies with allergies
- Owners noticed that their puppies had way less “eye gunk” than usual.
- Some owners said that the chews smelled bad and that their puppy wouldn’t eat them.
- One puppy owner loved the results of the probiotic but realized that their puppy did not like the taste, they tried coating the chew in a flavored paste and the puppy loved it!
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Price: $39.95 (for full size)
This probiotic comes in powder form and can be sprinkled over your puppy’s food. Puppy owners seem to love this product because it is easy to use, contains standard/plain ingredients, and contains prebiotics too!
Because this probiotic contains no flavoring, some puppies enjoy it better because they are not turned away by any strange smells or flavors.
This probiotic is known for helping yeast overgrowth within the gut which is the main cause of our puppies having upset stomachs.
- Gluten-free, non-GMO, non-dairy, no soy, no flavoring, odorless, no grain, no fillers
- Family-owned and operated business
- Helps dry skin and makes for a shiny coat
- Some customers suggested being patient to see results happen for your puppy. Like most probiotics, they must have time to work and settle into the puppy’s gut before any relief will be seen.
NOTE: Sometimes symptoms of stomach upset, diarrhea, constipation, etc. will become worse before it gets better.
Rating: 4.3/5 Stars
This probiotic is very popular among puppy owners. Because these chews are packed with B vitamins, owners have noticed their puppy’s coats are shinier and healthier than normal — plus less shedding!
This probiotic is great for helping joints because it contains omega3s and fish oils that help with mobility as well as vitamin D3 which assists with healthy bone growth!
Puppies seem to love this probiotic’s natural peanut butter flavor, a favorite taste among a lot of different dog breeds.
- Free from grain, salt, dairy, corn & soy, gluten, and artificial additives.
- Contains many vitamins including B1, B6, B2, and B12 (important for brain development)
- Helps with dry and itchy skin (+ allergies) by containing organic hemp powder and salmon oil!
- Some puppy owners stated that although the bites did smell like peanut butter, and usually their puppy likes that, they still spit the probiotic out.
- One owner stated that if their puppy spits out the probiotic chew, it leaves a yellow residue behind on whatever it was dropped on.
- Although the ingredients are all great, the biggest complaint about this probiotic from owners was that their puppy kept spitting it out, but they couldn’t tell why their puppy didn’t like it.
Tips for Giving Your Puppy Probiotics
While there are a lot of different brands available when it comes to puppy probiotics, it is best to talk with your vet to figure out what the best option is for your pup in particular.
Here are a few tips for you when it comes to puppy probiotics:
- Keep in mind that certain human foods contain probiotics that puppies can have in place of probiotics made specifically for puppies (yogurt, cheese, goat’s milk, kefir, etc.)
NOTE: While human and puppy probiotic supplements are very similar, it is important not to give your puppy human probiotic supplements without checking with your vet first, stick to those human foods with probiotics that puppies can have.
- If your puppy is refusing to eat a probiotic, try a different method of giving it to them (example: try putting it in their food or switch to a different consistency like a liquid probiotic or powder).
- Always keep your puppy’s probiotic in a cool, dry place, and pay attention to the directions on the probiotic that you choose, some of them are required to be refrigerated.
- Keep a close eye on your puppy! Probiotics should make your pup feel good and help them maintain a good gut, if you notice them acting strange or having severe symptoms, it is time to visit the vet.
Read This Next: Puppy Probiotics (Everything You Need to Know!)
While we strive to give the most accurate and helpful information about your pet’s health that we can, this article is meant to be informational only and not medical advice. Never disregard, avoid or delay in obtaining medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified veterinary health care provider regardless of what you have read on this site or elsewhere.